The Invisible Killer: Inflammation… In Your Mouth.
It seemed not long ago that two young men graduated from the same college. They tossed their caps in the air and set out to stake their claim in the world. They were both beyond average students – with a zeal for life – personable, charismatic, ambitious.
Recently they attended their 20th college reunion, and despite going to the same school, graduating the same year, and growing up in the same city, neither had met the other prior to this occasion.
As they chatted, they began to realize how much they had in common.
They were very similar in stature and status. Happily married with children. They both enjoyed careers in engineering. They loved sports – especially football. But most of all, they loved spending time with their families.
All seemed to be well in their lives. You might call it the American Dream.
But… There was one difference…
One of the men revealed that he had to fight for his life nearly a year prior. He was so deathly ill that the hospital doctors had prepared his family for the worst.
His outlook was very poor…
He had suffered a Severe Heart Attack…
While both men had what would seem like – all the blessings – in their lives. One of them was unaware of a very concerning risk factor for heart disease.
And in his case, inflammation in his mouth…
He had gone several years without making an appointment to see a dentist for routine dental care. He often made excuses – that it was “inconvenient” or just made him “nervous”.
Ignoring his better judgement and the occasional toothache, he avoided the place like the plague.
Researchers have found that those who have untreated gum disease are almost twice as likely to have heart disease – and that risk may be even greater than for those with high cholesterol.
The theory is that inflamed gum tissue allows bacteria to enter the blood stream – causing a reaction by the immune system – which leads to inflammation in the blood vessels and formation of arterial plaque (or fatty deposits).
In the studies, researchers even found bacteria normally only found in the mouth, trapped in these fatty deposits.
The deposits can cause narrowing of the arteries or even worse, they can break loose and block an artery completely – potentially leading to a heart attack or stroke.
Knowledge Is Power
We know in our society that a healthy diet, exercise, and quitting bad habits like smoking is our best line of defense.
In fact, many people have gone out of their way to quit the habit, hit the gym, and cut out extra fat.
And while there is no absolute preventative miracle for any disease, having one less risk factor sure makes one feel a lot better about the odds.
Willow Spring Family Dentistry – Your Friends And Oral Health Experts
At Willow Spring Family Dentistry, we take the time to not only ensure the best dental care for our patients, but to also educate them and make them aware of all the facts and findings during their visits – things that are important to their oral health and overall health.
From start to finish, we do our best to ensure our patients are comfortable and enjoy an array of unique services and perks:
- No Insurance? Worried about Cost? No Problem. Our front desk staff consisting of our office manager Jim and patient coordinator Courtney- have all the information on creative ways to cover dental care costs, including a very affordable discount plan. This plan has helped countless patients get the care they need right away. If you’re worried about cost, don’t be. We have options.
- Embarrassed Because It’s Been A While? Don’t Be. At Willow Spring Family Dentistry – we understand that life happens, the past is the past, and we’re here to see you achieve a brighter future. Our only goal is to get you back into good oral health. This is a Judgement Free Zone.
- Drills, Shots, And Face Masks. OH MY! Don’t Worry! We understand that one of the leading causes of dental avoidance is anxiety, fear, and often past trauma’s experienced in a dental chair. We promise to walk you through your visit, as painless as possible. We’re not perfect, but we try our best to make our patient’s feel at ease. And if you have questions along the way we encourage you to ask away!
We don’t want you to just take our word for it though. We encourage you to visit our website or to view our reviews and ratings online. We have some pretty awesome patients, who have been nice enough to let us know how we’re doing. So check them out!
For your convenience and benefit, we also offer:
- Technology – Digital X-Rays. Cameras. And More! One of our patient’s favorite perks to the practice is how convenient, fast, and comfortable the process has become – especially dental x-rays. We’re doing our best to keep up with the times. Our goal is to always provide a better experience for our patients. It helps us see things more clearly too.
- Small Office. Intimate Care. If you find that you’re bad at memorizing names, you won’t have to try too hard at our dental practice. We have a staff of 5 individuals, and before you know it – we may start to feel like long lost friends. We pride ourselves on this fact. We find it allows us to focus more on one individual at a time and to form a better relationship long term.
- Advanced Care – Sleep Apnea Specialist. Dr. Michelle Rowe, Creighton Alumni, is so passionate about helping people stay healthy and live better lives, she completed a Fellowship with the Academy of Clinical Sleep Disorders Disciplines – and is now able to offer advanced care to her patients involving sleep apnea and other related disorders. If you’re told that you snore like a bear, or if you wake up tired all the time, talk to her about it. She wants to help improve your quality of life.
Willow Spring Family Dentistry is not a scary dental office, a place of judgement, or reprimand… Instead we are your friends and advocates in the dental world.
We want to help you stay at your healthiest and happiest in life and it goes beyond dentistry. We love to educate and to guide you through the process of dental care – so that you can really focus on what matters in life.
As Dr. Rowe likes to put it, “We want you to keep on smiling that beautiful smile… To be able to chew and enjoy a T-Bone steak when the occasion arises… And to have the deck of cards stacked in your favor…”
Life is too precious to gamble with… We know you agree and so do your loved ones, those who depend on you.
Give us a call today to setup a new patient appointment.
Don’t put it off another day.
Your Friends at Willow Spring Family Dentistry.
PS: Mention this article when calling for your appointment. As a gift to you for taking charge of your health, we would like to offer you a FREE – one time- “Fluoride Varnish Treatment,” which can be redeemed at the time of your teeth cleaning. ($61 Value)Contact Page